In 2009, the Knights News Challenge will give out 5 million dollars to help with development and distribution of neighborhood community projects and services. The idea is to look for the next big plan that will help improve online news, and the Knights News Challenge will provide funding for it. There are three rules to the 2009 Knights News Challenge.
1. Use or create digital, open-source technology as the code base.
2. Serve the public interest.
3. Benefit one or more specific geographic communities.
The Knight Foundation funds the program, and has given out more then 300 million dollars since 1950.
Winners



In 2007, Chris Csikszentmihályi, Mitchel Resnick, and
Henry Jenkins won an incredible 5 million dollars when they created their Center for Future Civic Media. The program is "a leadership project designed to encourage community news experiments and new technologies and practices." These three are professors from MIT, and took home the grand prize that year.
Also is 2007 was Adrian Holovaty
with his creation of Everyblock, which helps create, test, and relate open source software to allow citizens of a neighborhood to get more information about their city block. this program could come in handy when it comes to learning about the residents of your neighborhood, and could be a valuable tool for potential home owners when doing research about new places to live. This I feel is an incredible tool, and definitely worthy of the prize that it won.
Winning Themes
Ultimately what I saw was alot of software that gives power to the people, and along those lines gives power to a large amount of people. Also, it helps to improve the quality of journalism, making sure that only the best stuff is seen. I saw this first in the Transparent Journalism program that awarded 350,000 dollars to Sir Tim Bernes-Lee and Martin Moore. In a world where print journalism is dying and the vast amount of online journalism, which at times can be inaccurate due to the desire to be first not accurate, any programs that increase the value of journalism are worth while in my opinion.
Whats Next?
I feel like this is an incredible program, and one that I would be very interested in being a part of. Its not something that i was aware existed before this assignment. I feel if the teachers at SC has alerted us of such an opportunity, I would be very interested to work with a team that could possibly create the next five million dollar winner. It would not be easy, but nothing in the world of journalism is. As the old saying goes, knowledge is power, and in this case, knowing of such a great program could create some of the greatest ideas yet to come.
Also is 2007 was Adrian Holovaty
with his creation of Everyblock, which helps create, test, and relate open source software to allow citizens of a neighborhood to get more information about their city block. this program could come in handy when it comes to learning about the residents of your neighborhood, and could be a valuable tool for potential home owners when doing research about new places to live. This I feel is an incredible tool, and definitely worthy of the prize that it won. Winning Themes
Ultimately what I saw was alot of software that gives power to the people, and along those lines gives power to a large amount of people. Also, it helps to improve the quality of journalism, making sure that only the best stuff is seen. I saw this first in the Transparent Journalism program that awarded 350,000 dollars to Sir Tim Bernes-Lee and Martin Moore. In a world where print journalism is dying and the vast amount of online journalism, which at times can be inaccurate due to the desire to be first not accurate, any programs that increase the value of journalism are worth while in my opinion.
Whats Next?
I feel like this is an incredible program, and one that I would be very interested in being a part of. Its not something that i was aware existed before this assignment. I feel if the teachers at SC has alerted us of such an opportunity, I would be very interested to work with a team that could possibly create the next five million dollar winner. It would not be easy, but nothing in the world of journalism is. As the old saying goes, knowledge is power, and in this case, knowing of such a great program could create some of the greatest ideas yet to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment