Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Wasn't Quite sure what to expect.

When I heard we were doing a UER experiment, I must admit I really had no idea what to expect. I had heard of these experiments in the past, but I had never come close to participating in them, nor did I know what they were really all about. When I heard that it was going to be about reorganizing the LA times home page, I thought it would have been more hands on. I was not expecting what we got, which is not to say that I didn't enjoy what we had.

What I was expecting
I envisioned this being hands on and working directly with the website itself. I thought there might be some interactive work with the web page, say we had a template to work with of the current home page and we were left to maneuver it around ourselves. Instead, we did not even touch the website itself, which I won't lie i was a little disappointed about. Instead, we were left with flashcards to work with, an interesting twist to the experiment.

The Flash Card Game
This experiment was alittle confusing to me because I didn't quite get how it would apply to helping them out at first, but once it was explained to me it became clearer. I thought it was very interesting how they decide what topics go under what tabs on the top, and it was also interesting how they broke up the groups, coincidentally putting the three big sports people together.

The Internet Exploring Game
This experiment was also interesting as I really wasn't sure what it had to do as well. She wanted to see what news websites we visit, but I didn't understand how it applied to me, seeing as I visit Latimes and CNN only a couple times a week. Instead I went to ESPN.com and cardplayer.com, seeing as how these are my main forms of news in sports and poker.

Summary

Overall, I feel like I won't be able to see how effective the experiment truly is until the new latimes page is revealed hopefully sooner rather then later. It will be interesting to see if any of our class ideas are implemented into the new page design, and if so I think thats really cool and a great way to get people involved in the news pages they love. Overall, it was interesting and I would do it again, preferably for sports so I feel like I have more experience and expertise on the situation.




No comments: