Monday, November 10, 2008

What I Did, What I Will Do

"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily," said Thomas Szasz once upon a time.

I've always thought that statement was an accurate one. Learning languages is an obvious example - I learned to speak both Spanish and English like it was nothing when I was a little girl. But I've been studying French for years and I still haven't become fluent. That's why when I'm in class, I try to maintain the open mentality of a child. Otherwise, I never learn anything.



So. What did I learn from Story Project #1? I learned that bold subheads are highly effective for keeping a person's attention throughout a story. I learned that italics really do emphasize a point. And I also learned that links are very useful.

I tried my best to utilize all of these tactics in my last story, but I believe the story itself didn't lend itself very well to bolds or italics or links because it wasn't an opinion piece. It was a very objective description of what happened with chimps who had been used in invasive research, and I felt that emphasizing certain things in a visible way would be awkward.

For my next story project, I plan to cover a story that lends itself better to these things. I will also use a slideshow format instead of a gallery format for my photographs because I felt that they made other classmates' story projects more interesting.

That is all.

No comments: