Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Polly-Vous Francais?


Bonjour, I am an unabashed Francophile. Ranging from culture to language, I am simply one of those Americans who embraces everything French...even the French who despise Americans (I love them too!).

I get daily emails from an about.com contributor named Laura Lawless. She emails "Word of the Day," "Gesture of the Week," "Expression of the Week," and snippets of French history and cities now and then. I see it as my gradual step-by-step process of becoming a full-fledged Frenchie.

But this Laura gal has been helpful in other ways as well. She introduced me to Polly of Polly-Vous Francais. Polly is an ex-pat and currently living in Paris writing a book. She blogs on her experiences, random French encounters, food, events, and even American news with a French perspective. Ooh la la.






I read it when I get the chance which ranges from every two days to every two weeks, but despite the long gaps, I'll always find my way back to it (like cheese to a cracker).


Here are some 'tres chouette' reasons why I like it:

- Archives categorized by month and year

Perfect for those long reading hiatuses of mine I was talking about. (see fig 1)

FIGURE 1


- Categories of her blog posts

Only care about French shopping? Click away. (see fig 2)

FIGURE 2


- Photos to document her experiences

Readers and photos are like moths to a flame. (see fig 3)


FIGURE 3


- Catchy titles for the blogs (see fig 4)

FIGURE 4

Lastly, it's fun to read the actual content. She is able to tell her stories from an
American's perspective but still grasp the essence of the French. Because of her blog, I can live vicariously through her blog, which is actually one of the main reasons why people read blogs in the first place. Readers get a firsthand look at another person's life or opinion. Whether about food or fashion, blogs carry a sense of awe and attraction that makes readers subscribe to it.

No comments: