Tuesday, October 28, 2008

CNN Online 24/7



As a college student, I lead a incomprehensibly chaotic lifestyle. My week-to-week schedules are erratic, so in order for me to keep up with current events, I need a news source that can fit MY life, which means I can read it anytime, anywhere, and any way I want it. Since starting college at USC, I've noticed my dependency on the internet has reached all-time highs for several legitimate (and not-so-legitimate reasons). Here are some of them:

Why the Internet:

- It is available to me 24/7
- More information and resources
- Almost whatever I find on TV and print can also be found on the internet
- Convenient in several ways:
-I don't have to follow a strict schedule to get news like I would for TV
-I don't need to get the paper in the morning (or fear that someone else took my paper)
- The computer has search tools that allows me to pinpoint exactly what I want
- The internet is portable, intangible, and allows more connections (links)

With the presidential elections coming up on November 4th, there is one site that I always click on first -- CNN.com

CNN, a big-time news network on TV has transitioned well into the internet medium. It might not be the site I turn to for the most in-depth news coverage, however, for breaking news, updates, and election coverage, CNN is first on my list.



CNN's Main Page:

Right when the page finishes uploading, a center ticker-like box appears that displays "Live Election Coverage" with a small screen capture (photo), a bold headline, and a link that allows readers to click on "Watch Now: Live on CNN.com." This display is the first attraction. With the words "Live" and "Watch Now," they make a reader feel the urgency and exclusivity of CNN news that other sites don't provide. (see image above)

Also, in the middle of the page, viewers can find an "Election Center 2008" Box that displays three interactive links: "Tracker: Who's raised the most in your county?"; "Calculator: See a possible tie scenario"; "The Forum: Compare your views on issues"; and lastly there is a fun 'countdown until election' box that is to the minute. (see image below)

CNN's Politics.com Page:

This separate page, unique to CNN's other tabs (World, U.S., Entertainment, Health, etc.), has a different structure, format, and color that really enhances the experience while on the page. There seems to be more exclusive features such as interactivity with readers, and hypothetical outcomes of the elections.



What the elections page offers:


- A list of "Top Stories" on the right with each headline ranging from six to eight words
- A bold picture in the middle -- almost always of a face of the presidential or vice presidential candidates
- "Obama in 'The Situation Room' -- allows citizens to submit a question to Obama for Wolf Blitzer's TV show
- "Top Politic Videos" -- a short bullet-point list of five top videos
-Appealing graphics that show the electoral vote count Obama and McCain currently have
- Election Tracker: reveals the latest poll results, where money is spent and where the candidates are
- Podcasts and iReports allow viewers to integrate their opinions with the site

If I wanted more thorough coverage, I would read the LA Times or watch election features on TV (CNN talk show, Meet The Press, The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, etc.), but for a quick overview on what is happening with each candidate, I turn to CNN because it is always up-to-date and easy to navigate for readers.

No comments: